Sunday, January 16, 2005

VC 100K grtd

I spent an enjoyable weekend in leicester, primarily drinking and playing poker with some friends, and met a few people off VC, some of whom i hadn't met before. A great time was had by all, special mention to Pete aka JackOfClubs, who entertained the masses with his drunken antics as usual, and notched up a record number of "falling over " incidents.

After spending the evening and wee hours of the early morning playing out STTS (well done to Leehack for played 2 won 2 record), myself, James (Royal FLush) and Pete (JOC) all retired back to our hotel where Pete crashed out for a well deserved rest and myslef and flushie kicked off a few heads up matches. I didn't manage to improve my recent poor record against flushie heads up live. He is a very observant and calculating player. Whislt i find many players i can slip into autopilot mode during heads up games and quickly home in on their poker weaknesses, whilst playing Royal Flush i need to adapt my game a lot and set him up for plays to get paid off. I still hold the evil eye over him online but have to admit he has been getting the better of me live recently, althought this will change soon fish so watch out!

Anyway after a few hours of play we realised it was about 11 ish and we had to be getting out of the rooms and heading to the station soon, despite having had no sleep! Eventually we crowbarred a slightly mangy and hungover jacko out of his pit and made out way to the station, and i eventually got home to ealing at around 5 or so.

When i got back i thought id have a check of the forums to see if anything interesting had cropped up, and whilst online i had a chat with Leehack who reminded me in no uncertain terms that VC's inaugural 100K grtd tourney was taking place tonight. I was interested to see the standard of play, if it was any better than the usual but I was also feeling pretty rough off the back of a hard nights drinking and poker followed by NO SLEEP, so wasn't too keen on the idea of playing a 15min level blinds tourney with 600+ runners in it. Anyway Lee badgered me a bit till i thought ok, i dont really feel like dipping into 100 of my BR to play a tourney where i stand little chance being in such bad shape, so I'll play a few feeder satellites and see if i can get in on the cheap. I played a few stts but for some reason couldnt seem to hit a thing and before i knew it 3 stts were down and i hadnt even made last 3. I elected to have one more quick shot at a speed tourney satellite and i did, this time winning the tourney, courtesy of a little outdraw against a guy called OUTLAW or something where i riased his blind with J8 and he moved allin and i had the odds to call as he flipped A9 and i outflopped him to win.

So i had done what i set out to do, got myself a cheap entry to the tourney. I elected to not rebuy or addon north star stylee as i was not in peak condition.

The tourney started and i picked up a coupld of smalish pots to give me 2.5K or so. then this hand happened which was a little odd. I am in the small blind and 3 limpers come in and i complete with 94 off.
The flop comes

9 4c 6c

giving mr top and bottom pair but with a potential flush draw out there too. This encourages me to make a decent bet on the flop so i overbet the pot to maybe look like a fl draw, one guy calls. He called quickly as if drawing to something so i pencil him in as a flush draw and decide i will move in on the turn if a blank comes.

The next card out is the

5s

, a useless card to anything but a gutshot draw or 95 or 55 maybe. I move allin, he thinks then calls my allin with 88, so he had picked up a gutshot str8 draw on the turn, but i cannot beleive he called with this hand here. Ok its the rebuy period but it really wasn't a cleverly thought out call. My 94 holds up and im up to 4.6K or so. I then slow down to observe the players a little and i realise the table is stacked with value, and people not playing well. I settle into the game and find a hand or two to lift my chips to 7K. One hand in particular was somewhat fortunate.....

UTG i raise minimum with 86h. A player i know flat calls my min raise and every else passes. Flop comes down 7 5 9 one heart, so i flop the nut str8 with backdoro fk redraw. i bet out abd he he moves all in for anohter 2K or so, i obviously call and he is udnerstandably a little surprised to see the weak holding.........(To be continued............)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home