Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Unusual hand - the correct play?

Final table of the 4K, we are 3 handed. I have about 170K, Chip leader has 280K, shortstack has 72K.

blinds are 4k 8K.

In SB with A9c, CL riases on the button to 25K, he has riased a lot of pots before. I flat call to see the flop. SB now riases a further 40k ish allin. I feel as though he will do this with a long range of hands as he ahs jsut suffered a big loss and may be on tilt.

The Chip leader flat calls 40K raise, now i am pretty sure he isnt a biggish hand as the pot was big enough for him ot be happy moving in with AA KK or QQ. with around 72 x 2 144K and my sb and call of inital raise 4+25 29K in the pot (a total of 173k ish in the pot ) i call the 40K riase leaving myself 100K back and pot is now 210K or so.

Flop comes Kc 4c 7d.

Hmmmmm, this is an interesting one. Nut flush draw, i am pretty happy to see this. I am committed to play here really for the size of the pot.

The question is, do i make a move here? Or try and get it checked down?

I'd be interested to hear any views on how best to play this. I will post what happened and how I played it later.
The question is though, do i bet into the dry pot or not?

6 Comments:

At March 3, 2005 at 4:08 AM, Blogger Royal Flush said...

All in.

You cant afford to fold. And the only time you want to go all in is when the CL is going to have the 2nd player beaten. So if you all in you force the CL to have a King and most likely be ahead of the SS. If he has a worse hand he will fold and you are still in.

 
At March 4, 2005 at 6:42 PM, Blogger Royal Flush said...

yes because you will still be in.

 
At March 5, 2005 at 8:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was at the table watching, so I can't comment...lol. I know what happened.

 
At March 7, 2005 at 3:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes do tell panth the suspense is killing me.

why u call 25k to SEE the flop??
however once in PUSH
cant play shorthanded without a large pr of cojones.

portfolio

 
At March 7, 2005 at 8:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK.

So i pushed allin. CL called KQ, ss had 55, i miss flush or A and CL wins tourney. Eliminated in 2nd.

I think calling allin is better than pushing allin here as really you want the chip leader in the pot to eliminate the shortstack based on the prize structure.

Its hard to see a situation where u will force out a hand thats currently better than yours from the chip leader and still be aheaad of the shortstack.(without making your flush or ace.)

This is possible if the CL has say TT and the shortstack 88 and u hit a 9 but overall the best tournament value is from having the chip leader in the pot with you so check calling allin might be a better strategy.

I will do some numbers on this later see if i can make sense of it.

 
At March 12, 2005 at 6:35 AM, Blogger Admin said...

oi oi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home